23 February 2015
Vegan french toast
By Lucy Taylor - Dietitian
The following makes 1 serve, simply double the recipe to make 2 serves.
- 1/4 cup soy milk made with soy protein
- 1/3 cup soft tofu* (85g)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 slices of gluten-free bread or spelt sourdough bread
- Cooking oil spray or 1 tsp of oil for cooking
- Maple syrup to serve
*Please note: soft tofu is classified under 'plain tofu', being low in FODMAPs.
- Add the soft tofu, soy milk and vanilla extract to a blender and process until well combined. If you don't have a blender, just give it a good whisk in a small bowl.
- Pour the wet mix into a shallow dish and add the bread. Leave the bread to soak for a minute or so, then flip it over to make sure the other side of the bread is coated.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and add a light spray of oil (or 1 tsp or so of oil). When the oil is hot, add the bread to the frying pan. Cook on one side for a few minutes until golden brown, then flip the bread over and cook until the other side is golden brown.
- Serve on a plate and top with maple syrup.