16 February 2015
By Dr Marina Iacovou - Research Dietitian
(Preparation time 30-40 minutes, cooking time 15-20 minutes).
- ½ kg cooked potato, mashed
- ½ cup cooked rice (use brown rice for extra fibre)
- 45g of gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 medium carrot (grated)
- ½ small zucchini (grated)
- 2 tbs shaved parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 tbs fresh continental parsley
- 1 tbs fresh coriander
- 8g Grated ginger
- 1 egg
- 1 Tlb soy sauce (gluten free)
- Peel and steam potatoes
until very soft.Mash potato and leave
to the side or place in the fridge to cool down
- Boil/steam rice and allow
to cool (cool in the fridge for faster results)
- Wash and finely chop fresh
coriander and parsley
- Grate carrot and zucchini
and remove any excess liquid
- Once potato and rice has
cooled down, place into a bowl with all ingredients.
- Roll burgers into balls
- Spray or drizzle olive oil
into a pan or on a BBQ plate. Heat oiled pan/BBQ plate first before placing
- Once burgers are in the pan/on
BBQ plate, allow them to cook for approximately 5 minutes before gently
flattening burgers slightly.
- Cook burgers on low-medium heat for approximately 15 minutes and only turn them once.
Hint: Allow burgers to brown thoroughly on one side before
turning. Turning burgers often will cause them to fall apart.
For a vegan option, replace egg with 2 tablespoons of olive
oil and remove parmesan cheese.