21 April 2017
Nicoise salad with rice
By Dr. Jane Varney - Research Dietitian
- 70g green beans, halved lengthways
- ¼ cup long grain rice (raw)
- 1 cup butter lettuce, leaves shredded
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons black/green pitted olives, halved
- 1 anchovy fillet (marinated in oil and salt only), drained and chopped
- 95g can tuna in oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 3 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 hard-boiled egg, halved
- Place rice and cold water in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, then cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes until small craters form in surface of the rice. Drain rice and rinse well.
Place beans in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Stand for 1 minute or until bright green and just tender. Drain, refresh under cold water, then drain again.
- Place beans, lettuce, tomato, olives, anchovy, tuna (undrained), mustard and vinegar in a large bowl. Add rice and season with salt and pepper. Toss gently to combine. Top with a hard-boiled egg and serve.
- For extra fibre, use brown rice, other wholegrain varieties of rice or a mixture of brown rice and quinoa
- To reduce prep time, use a microwavable rice cup or sachet
Adapted from a recipe onwww.taste.com.au
Link to original recipe: http://bit.ly/2oLpP8S