These BBQ chicken skewers are simple to
make and delicious to share! The sauce gives the chicken skewers a beautifully
sweet and tangy lemon flavour. Just remember to soak your wooden skewers
in a bowl of water for at least 20 minutes before using otherwise you might set
them on fire.
Image by Alana Scott - A Little Bit Yummy
BBQ chicken skewers with lemon sauce
Serves: 4 (2 skewers each)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 500g chicken breast (skinless)
- 2 tbsp neutral oil (canola, rice bran, sunflower)
- Few grinds of salt & pepper
- 240g (1 medium) courgette
- 1 large red capsicum (red pepper)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) low FODMAP chicken stock
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (1 large lemon)
- 1 & ½ tbsp golden syrup or maple syrup
- 1 & ½ tsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- Sprinkle of dried chilli flakes (optional)
Low FODMAP Buying Tips: Make sure your chicken stock does not contain onion, garlic or other high FODMAP ingredients. Check your chilli flakes do not include garlic. Buy pure maple syrup not maple flavoured syrup.
- Place the wooden skewers in a bowl of water and leave to soak while you prepare the skewer ingredients.
- Cut the chicken breast into small cubes. Place in a small bowl and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of neutral oil, and season with a few grinds of salt and pepper.
- Cut the courgette into small rings. Deseed and cut the red capsicum (red pepper) into chunks. Thread the courgette, red capsicum and cubed chicken onto the skewers.
- Prepare the sauce ingredients. Zest and juice the lemon. Roughly chop the dried rosemary. Make the low FODMAP chicken stock if needed. Place the chicken stock, lemon juice, lemon zest, chopped rosemary, golden syrup (or maple syrup) in a small saucepan. Dissolve the cornflour (cornstarch) in 1 tablespoon of warm water and add to the saucepan.
- When you are ready to cook, heat the BBQ grill to high. Place the skewers on the grill. Brush the skewers with neutral oil. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, turning skewers occasionally, until cooked through.
- While the chicken cooks on the BBQ, heat the sauce over medium high heat, until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Drizzle the chicken skewers with lemon sauce and sprinkle with dried chilli flakes and fresh coriander. Serve hot.
Gluten Free Tips: Make sure your chicken stock, dried chilli flakes, dried rosemary, and cornflour are gluten free.