ANZAC day is a special time of year where
New Zealanders and Australians gather to celebrate our war heroes, and the
soldiers who have dedicated their lives to protecting us. In honour of them I
have developed a delicious low FODMAP ANZAC biscuit. It’s soft and chewy with
yummy hints of sunflower seeds and coconut. Enjoy!
Anzac Day Biscuits
Serves: 15 biscuits (1 biscuit per serve)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 100g dairy free spread (or butter)
- 2 & ½ tbsp golden syrup
- 100g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 95g (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons) gluten free plain flour
- 55g (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon) dried desiccated coconut
- 75g (3/4 cup) rolled oats
- 3 tbsp sunflower seed or pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC (340ºF) bake function. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Melt the dairy free spread (or butter), golden syrup and brown sugar in a medium sized saucepan over medium low heat. Stir occasionally. Then remove from heat.
- Dissolve the baking soda in 1 tablespoon of boiling water. Then mix through syrup in the saucepan. The mixture should go golden and frothy.
- Add the gluten free plain flour, dried desiccated coconut, rolled oats, sunflower seeds (pumpkin seeds) to the saucepan. To stop the biscuits going crumbly, mix the chia seeds with 2 tablespoon of boiling water in a small cup. Once they go gooey, add them to the saucepan.
- Mix the ingredients until well combined.
- Using a tablespoon or dessertspoon, scoop the mixture onto the trays (leave enough space between each biscuit for them to flatten slightly as they cook). Evenly space the biscuits and flatten the top of each biscuit with your fingers or a fork. The batter should make 15 biscuits.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 10 to 12 minutes, remove once golden. I recommend checking the biscuits after 8 minutes, as sometimes they cook faster than expected!
- Allow the biscuits to cool and then transfer them to an airtight container. These should keep for 5 days. Enjoy!