This delicious muffin recipe is super simple and not only low FODMAP, but also egg and dairy free, so is suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
- 1 tbs chia seeds soaked in 3 tbs boiling water
- 2 cups gluten free plain flour (containing a mixture of rice, potato and tapioca flours)
- 1/2 cup almond meal, plus a little extra to sprinkle on top of muffins
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 12 hole muffin pan with paper cases.
- In a small bowl, add boiling water to chia seeds and stir. Set aside to swell for 10-15 minutes, or until a thick gel forms.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, almond meal, baking powder and caster sugar.
- Add vanilla extract, vegetable oil, almond milk and soaked chia seeds.
- Stir until just combined, adding a little extra almond milk if mixture becomes too thick.
- Finally, carefully fold blueberries through mixture.
- Divide mixture equally between 12 muffin cases (fill each case to 2/3 full) and sprinkle tops with extra almond meal.
- Bake muffins in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until lightly brown and cooked through.
- For a nut free version, replace almond meal with oat bran and substitute almond milk for regular milk (lactose free if required) or soy protein milk (to keep the recipe vegan).
- Store muffins in an airtight container or freeze for later.
- As a special treat, add 1/3 cup chocolate of your choice to the muffin mixture at step 3.