No boring salads here. This one is restaurant quality with plenty of flavour and no onion or garlic in sight!
Shredded Chicken salad with creamy Japanese style dressing
- 4 slices lean, short cut bacon
- Thumb size piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely cut into matchsticks
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Tahini
- 1 Tbsp. Miso paste (we used white/shiro)
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- 3/4 tsp. sesame oil
- pinch of white sugar
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ~1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise (if store bought, check that no onion or garlic added, or make your own with this recipe)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small BBQ (Rotisserie) chicken, skin and stuffing removed and shredded
- 4 cups shredded Cos or Iceberg lettuce
- 2 Tbsp. chives, chopped
- Toasted sesame seeds for serving
- Pan fry bacon in a non-stick pan until cooked to your liking. Transfer onto paper towel to cool and then slice thinly
- Cook ginger in a small saucepan of boiling water for 1 minute, Drain and rinse under cold water; set aside
- Whisk soy sauce, tahini, miso, fish sauce, sesame oil, sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth.
- Place mayonnaise into a larger bowel and whisk until smooth. Gradually pour in the soy sauce mixture and whisk until combined. You may need to add a tablespoon or 2 of water to thin our the dressing. You want the dressing to be the consistency of thickened cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the chicken and 1/2 the dressing in a large bowl to coat. Add the lettuce and bacon and the rest of the dressing
- Serve on a large plate and sprinkle the chives and sesame seeds on top
*Dressing can be made 1 day ahead, just keep in the fridge.
*This delicious recipe was adapted from Epicurious -Bon Appetit July 2017