With the festive season already upon us, serving burgers can be a real crowd pleaser! Here is very simple, delicious recipe that can be prepared ahead of time and even be frozen for a quick meal. It is also adaptable as you can make smaller slider versions for any entertainment occasion.
(Makes 6 x large burgers (116g) serves)
- 500g lean beef mince
- 6 shortcut bacon rashers (200g) , diced
- 1 tbsp (13g) garlic infused oil
- 2 tbsp (27g) olive oil to cook (spray oil is useful)
- 1/2 heaped cup (60g) oat bran
- 1 cup (50g) chives, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (25g) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1 tsp (5g) Tabasco sauce (optional or to taste)
- 1 tsp (5g) cracked black pepper (or to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil to cook burgers (spray oil is useful)
- 6 low FODMAP rolls (Bakers Delight OR Schar Hamburger rolls), halved and lightly toasted just before you serve the meal. Alternatively you can use low FODMAP sliced bread OR Lettuce leaves as buns.
For suggested fillings see under serving suggestions below
- Heat the oils over a medium heat and sauté the bacon until it starts to crisp. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature (note do not drain as the fat is important for a juicy burger).
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Divide the mixture into 6 equal parts (135g) and roll into balls then pat to flatten and shape (about 8.5m diameter and 2cm thick). Note, at this stage they can be frozen by separating them by sheets of non-stick paper.
- Place burgers on a flat tray covered with non-stick paper, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. Use this time to prepare the ingredients you plan to serve with the burgers.
- Lightly oil a non-stick frying pan and place over a high heat. When the pan is hot place burgers in a single layer and slightly reduce the heat. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side or until they are completely cooked through. You may need to do this in batches. Note, they can also be barbequed. . .
For example: Per person serve with 1 tablespoon of our low FODMAP chutney, 1 slice of cheddar cheese, 2 slices of tomato, 1/2 cup shredded lettuce, 2 slices of beetroot and a fried egg. Pickled jalapenos and sliced pickled cucumbers also go well with burgers.
Why not prepare some our low FODMAP guacamole to go with the burgers. Delicious!