It is great news that our team has recently tested canned creamed corn and it is listed as low FODMAP on our App. It can be used to make this popular, delicious and simple Chinese style soup that makes a mouth-watering main, starter or snack. This easy, kid friendly recipe has all the traditional flavours and the water chestnuts give it a delightful crunch.
(Makes 6 x 300g serves)
- 1L (4 cups) low FODMAP chicken stock or Monash University Low FODMAP CertifiedTM chicken stock (salt reduced)
- 1 large (312g) raw chicken breast, skinless and bone free OR 1.5 cups (243g) cooked chicken, shredded
- 1x 420g can creamed corn
- 3 tsp (9g) ginger, fresh, finely chopped or grated
- 1 x 227g can (1 cup, 154g drained weight) water chestnuts, sliced, canned, drained and chopped
- 1 tbsp (9g) corn starch (maize)
- 2 tbsp (36g) soy sauce
- 2 large (117g) eggs, beaten
- 3 tsp (9g) sesame oil
- 1 cup (50g, 4 green tops) green spring onion top, finely sliced
- Extra green tops, fresh chilli, bean shoots and lemon wedges for serving
- Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Drop in chicken breast, turn off the heat, cover with a lid and steep for 30 minutes. Remove the chicken breast and refresh in cold water for about 10 minutes. See tips below if you are using leftover cooked chicken. Finely shred or chop the chicken.
- Add corn, water chestnuts, sesame oil and ginger to stock and bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Combine soy sauce and cornflour into a paste then drizzle into the soup while constantly stirring into the soup to slightly thicken.
- Add shredded chicken to the soup and slowly drizzle in egg while stirring.
- Add the green onion tops, bring to a bear simmer.
- Serve into bowls topped with extra green onion tops, a squeeze of lemon, bean shoots and fresh chilli slices on the side.
- This is a great way to use up left-over cooked chicken. Simply shred or chop 1 1/2 cups (243g) chicken.
- You could add a tsp of five spice powder for a more authentic Chinese flavour.
- If you are using Monash certified low FODMAP chicken stock instead of homemade stock add less soy as this pre-made stock contains salt.
- If you have left overs or make a bigger batch, freeze the soup in airtight containers. These are easy to take to work or to defrost ready for dinner after a hard days work!
- Squeeze some fresh lemon juice over your serve. This citrus addition makes all the difference to the flavour.
- Add some rehydrated, finely sliced black white backed fungus. Per serve weigh or measure 6g (1/8th cup) pre-sliced dried fungus, cover with plenty of boiling water, steep for about 20 minutes and drain. This adds a delicious crunchy texture with not much flavour and is very low in energy (KJ or calories). Add in step 5 of method.
- Add some oyster mushrooms ripped into pieces in step 2.