Quinoa is known as quite a trendy food but in fact it is delicious, low in FODMAPs and a higher fibre alternative to other grains such as rice. This super-simple and fast recipe is nutritious, tasty and is good for any meal. It’s really easy to pack and take to work lunch and will keep for a few days in the fridge. Add your choice of protein to make it a balanced meal (see serving suggestions).
(Makes 4 x 285g serves)Dressing:
- Juice of 2 lemons OR limes (4 Tbsp)
- 1 ½ tbsp of fish sauce (soy sauce for vegan option)
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Chopped fresh chilli (optional)
- Rinse quinoa very well in a fine sieve. Cook quinoa by covering 1 cup with 1 1/2 cups stock or water and microwave in a covered container for 10 minutes. Alternatively, to cook on the stove top, bring to the boil, then reduce heat to very low and cook covered for 10 minutes. Allow quinoa to rest (still covered) off the heat for a further 10 minutes. Place in a large bowl and fluff with a fork then allow to cool.
- While the quinoa is cooking prepare the vegetables and herbs then add to the quinoa and combine.
- Add all dressing ingredients into the bowl and mix well.
- Sprinkle with low FODMAP dukkah and perhaps drizzle with some garlic infused oil and some lemon juice.
- Serve with some lean cooked chicken, fish, beef, a poached egg or crumbled feta cheese. For some crunch stir though some roasted walnuts, macadamias or pepitas.
- For added colour and flavour, add a tsp of turmeric to the quinoa and water before cooking it!
- Instead of quinoa, why not try other non-traditional, low FODMAP grains like as millet.